Do you teach students in grades 3-5?
Are you (and your students!) new to the PATHS Program?
If so, you may want to take a few moments to familiarize yourself with the Jump-Start lessons.
What are the Jump-Start Lessons?
The Jump-Start (JS) lessons are 11 introductory lessons appropriate for grades 3-5 who have not had previous PATHS program lessons.
Ideally, you’d do the JS lessons before starting the lessons for grades 3, 4, or 5. The lessons introduce “comfortable” and “uncomfortable” feelings, helping to create a foundational emotional vocabulary used throughout the curriculum.
Specific lessons include:
- Formulating Classroom Rules (Lesson 1)
- PATHS Kid for Today: Complimenting (Lesson 2)
- Introduction to Feelings: Happy, Sad, Private (Lesson 3)
- Fine, Excited, Tired (Lesson 4)
- Scared or Afraid, Safe (Lesson 5)
- Mad or Angry (Lesson 6)
- Calm or Relaxed, Worried (Lesson 7)
- Shy, Lonely (Lesson 8)
- Surprised, Delighted, Disgusted (Lesson 9)
- Accident, On Purpose (Lesson 10)
- Disappointed, Hopeful (Lesson 11)
If you are short on time, start with Lessons 1 and 2 and then choose from the other lessons based on the needs of your students. You can use the Lesson Tracking Sheet (from the online support materials) to track which lessons you do.
You’ll find the Jump-Start lessons in the PATHS+ Premium online subscription included with each Classroom Implementation Package purchase. If you don’t already have access, ask your school principal or SEL coordinator to complete this form to sign up for online access for each teacher assigned a PATHS classroom implementation package.
The Jump-Start lessons have their own set of Feeling Face cards. Students receive new cards at the end of each lesson. A reproducible master of the Jump-Start Feeling Faces Cards is in the online Support Materials section of your PATHS+ Premium online subscription. For convenience, pre-printed sets of Jump-Start Feeling Faces Card Sets are available in our online store.
Check out these resources for other ideas on how to start the school year off SEL strong:
- Icebreakers for the First 30 Days
- Creating Optimistic Thinking
- Goal Setting
- Teaching Social Cues
- Join our Facebook Group for PATHS Educators